We recently had the pleasure of trying Jomei’s Fine Foods Organic Sweet Balsamic Reduction and it is amazing. Sourced from Modena, it has been barrel-aged and is then blended with Organic Coconut Sugar to create this exquisite nectar. Do yourself a favour and get some from your health food store. They have very kindly provided this delicious recipe for you to try.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup of red wine
2 tablespoons of Jomei’s Fine Foods Sweet Balsamic Reduction
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
500g of roasted baby beetroot
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
1 zest of lemon
1/2 cup of caramelised onions
1 sheet of puff pastry
100g of walnuts
Garnish premade caramelised onions, goat’s cheese and basil
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Prepare the baby beetroots by washing. Place them in the centre of a large piece of aluminum foil. Fold up the sides of the foil to form a pouch, leaving the pouch open at the top.
- Roast the beetroot for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a small paring knife can be inserted into the centre of the beetroot with no resistance. Set aside to cool slightly. Peel o the skin and cut in half.
- Using a pan suitable for the oven, add olive oil, red wine, Sweet Balsamic Reduction and sugar to heat over a moderate flame. Then reduce the heat.
- Add beetroots until the liquid has reduced into a syrup.
- Add thyme, lemon zest, caramelised onions, and season to taste. Cut pastry to size of pan or place over the top, tucking the edges into pan.
- Cook in oven for 10 minutes.
- While tart is cooking, dry pan fry walnuts in a hot pan. Add a small amount of Sweet Balsamic Reduction toss through. Allow to cool, and they will become crunchy.
- Once tart is golden brown and cooked, take it out from the pan. Garnish with additional caramelised onions, goats cheese, caramelised walnuts, and basil. Ready to serve.
Note: To make caramelised onions, slice 3 red onions with a little extra virgin olive oil. Cook onions till they are soft and transparent. Add 1 tablespoon of Sweet Balsamic Reduction and cook for a few minutes.
For more info visit Jomei’s Fine Foods